First off let me begin by saying a BIG THANK YOU to all you lovely readers and new subscribers. I hadn’t anticipated this much traffic to my page after being featured on Discover, it is very humbling.
I was nominated last week (I think? It’s exam season so I have no concept of time) for this award by the very talented Safiyah over at Scottish Muslimah. Check out her blog, it’s awesome. I guess this nomination couldn’t have come at a better time – allow me to tell you a little more about myself and the award.
The rules are as follows:
• Thank the person/persons who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog.
• Answer the 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you.
• Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
• List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post and/or on your blog.
My answers to Safiyah’s questions:
1. What was the last book you read?
Goodnight Mr Tom but only because I’ve been teaching it. It’s about evacuation in WW2 but there are some equally hilarious and heart wrenching moments. I’m currently trying to get through a non fiction book (if work will allow me to), called Makers of Islamic Civilization: Iqbal by Mustanser Mir.
2. What is your favourite film?
I love anything with Melissa McCarthy: she’s hilarious. Lord of The Rings. All the Marvel movies. And then there’s a group of Bollywood films which remind me of a happy time in my life and sometimes I watch them just to go back to that place of nostalgia and funny one-liners. They tend be Akshay Kumar, Paresh Rawal & Om Puri comedies from the late 2000’s.
3. What is your guilty pleasure?
Apparently, since moving to Qatar my guilty pleasure is downing whole tubs of Nutella. I can’t get my Cadbury fix out here.
4. Is there something you love which everyone else hates?
Lemon slices with salt and chilli powder. Yeah I know, it’s weird.
5. When was the last time you changed your mind about something?
Ermm…Probably the fact that I wanted to mark the exam scripts that I’ve carried back and forth between work and home for 3 days, and then decided against it and began writing this blog post instead. #priorities
6. What do you love about your best friend?
That we both think the other is the funniest person we’ve ever met, and there’s never a dull a moment when we’re together.
7. What is your favourite word?
Uh-uh-uhhh [Branch from Trolls]
8. What was the last thing you learnt?
I read this on ahmedsaiz’s blog: writing can never be ordinary. Writing is what the angels do, writing is what our Prophet s.a.w. was entrusted to do in writing the Quran, and finally writing is what the Greatest Writer of all has done when He wrote our fate. I just thought this was an amazing lesson and reminder.
9. If you could live in any country where would you live?
I already live in my favourite country but Pakistan is a close second.
10. If you had to live in a period of history, which would it be?
I remember talking about this with one of my flatmates at uni, we both wished to see everything from the beginning of time till the present day. But then we realised we’d see so much heartache and bloodshed so perhaps there’s wisdom in our short lives and our ignorance. Anyway, there are still a few historical periods I would’ve loved to see first hand:
– India during the Mughal empire
– Pre-partition Lahore during the time of Hazrat Allama Iqbal.
– The time of Queen Sheba and Prophet Suleman (a.s) just to see what that world of animals, jinn, and humans living in harmony would’ve looked like.
– Makkah and Medina during the time of the Prophet s.a.w
11. Who was the last person you said ‘I love you’ to?
My nieces and my husband – I tell them daily.
Finally, here are my 11 questions for the 11 bloggers I wish to nominate- sorry if you’ve been nominated already guys! Also, participation isn’t compulsory.
1. How long have you been blogging and what motivated you to begin?
2. Who is your favourite character (book or movie) and why?
3. What annoys you more than anything?
4. What would you ask for if the answer was ‘Yes’?
5. If you could invite anyone to dinner (dead or alive), which 2 people would you invite and why?
6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
7. What’s your happiest memory?
8. Which protagonist/villain do you see yourself in?
9. What would you be working as if you weren’t a blogger/writer or working in your current job/career?
10. What are your 3 favourite foods?
11. If you had one day completely by yourself, how would you fill your time?